Monday, December 2, 2013

European markets in Toronto

We got back last night from our trip to Toronto to see Adam & Alicia.  We had a lovely weekend helping them decorate their house and tree.


Isn't it cute?

We also went to the Christmas markets in the distillery district.  They have these all over England and Europe and I have always wanted to go.  It was a lovely evening even if it was cold!  But Alicia and I bought matching mittens to keep our hands warm, as my leather gloves just weren't cutting it.  I even bought a hat!


Very European even down to the cobblestones! 


It was the first night of the markets and they lit the tree while we were there.  Over 150,000 lights!


Carollers roamed the streets in costume.


We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves


Had some hot chocolate to warm us up.  We all look quite padded up in the cold don't we?!


And finished the evening off with some good English Fish, chips & mushy peas at a restaurant Adam discovered which makes the real article!! Then it was back to their place for a couple of games of Settlers of Catan (one of our family's favourite board games!)

I will be choosing a winner for my giveaway tomorrow, so check back.

9 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful time Julie, the mittens look very cozy and snuggly, just the sort of thing for a cold night. I like mittens because then I can wear gloves under them too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloves are fine for going from car to wherever, but the just don't cut it here when you're outside for any length of time. I have never thought of wearing them under mittens. But my hands were snuggly warm on Friday night!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Jennifer. I thought of all the people who were stuck in stores on black Friday and I would much rather be at an outdoor market. It is the Brit in me I guess!

      Delete
  3. That looks like a lovely evening - and not too crowded either. We went to the Lamplighter Festival in Todmorden last month( music, lanterns, a parade and a market). Great fun, but very cold - we had hot chocolate to warm us up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't crowded at all which is something that we don't deal with here in the way the larger UK cities do. Although Toronto sure does have traffic at rush hour. In Ottawa we really din't know what that means even though we complain sometimes about it! Thank goodness for hot chocolate - it really is the only thing that warms me when I'm chilled to the bone!

      Delete
  4. Julie I'm just catching up on my blog reading. Looks like a great weekend. The tree is beautiful. We are getting a real one so that means we wont put ours up until the weekend after next. I hate being stuck indoors too Julie, the outdoor markets over here are very popular but sooo busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely detest indoor malls and do everything I can to avoid them. When we shop in Maine it is outdoor shopping malls and small stores. I do a lot of shopping online. I miss the high street look of England, but I guess that is disappearing to some extent - shame.

      Delete
  5. The markets look amazing with all those lights strung up and from the looks of it those mittens were needed from how cold you look. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete