Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas throughout the house.

This year, as well as our tree in the living room, we have also put a little tree downstairs in our family room.


It's such a cute little tree.  Wendell finally convinced me to get this little beauty from Ikea. I had bought some vintage baubles at a garage sale in the summer for a steal (four or five little bags for $2,00) so we bought a few more Ikea ornaments and up she went.  We didn't plan a red & white decor scheme, but that's how it worked out. I love these little ornaments.










I had a few left over so I put them into a hurricane jar on the piano.


This is Norah's favourite ornament and she is allowed to play with it when she comes over. She loves finding the Mommy & Daddy and baby.


 Speaking of Norah, let me show you what we did with the area of our family room which used to house my sewing space.  It's a play area for Norah and future grandchildren.  She loves to come down here and play.


Here is her little table where she colours and does puzzles


One of the toyshelves


My collection of vintage ladybird books (she loves to be read to)


This little book was one of my favourites when I was a child


Can you see Andy Pandy, Bear & Looby Loo?  They were an Ebay find last year.  We sometimes called her Dad Andy Pandy when he was little, so I simply HAD to get these!


And this is her little kitchen where she makes us "sandwiches" and of course, her little baby which she rocks and sings to (it is so cute!)


Now to get back to the title of this post.  Just a snapshot of some of our Christmas decorating this year. This is the shot we framed on canvas from our photo shoot in the Summer. I love everyone's face on this one.


My Christmas quilt which I made last year


Our other blanket basket


 Of course, our nativity


A little corner in the living room.


And Poinsettias (not real this year as they are poisonous!)


The house smells wonderful today as I just made shortbread and mince pies.  
It feels cozy and warm around here and that's just how we like it!





21 comments:

  1. Your home is looking so festive and beautiful Julie. Love the ornaments on your new tree. They look as though they are vintage. I guess that you had your ladybird books as a young girl! I don't expect that there are many of those in Canada. I didn't have the Beatrix Potter books as a child, but as the 100th anniversary editions come out, I am collecting them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the ornaments are vintage, some are from Ikea believe it or not Amy! I wish I had my ladybird books from childhood. Those are all Ebay purchases from the UK that you see. You can get ladybird books here, but not the old ones. Andrew, our middle son, learned to read on ladybird. I spent many hours with him going over them. We have that set still. I didn't know they are making 100 year anniversary editions of Beatrix Potter books. The ones I have are from my children's younger years. I will have to keep my eyes open for those. Do you have the copy of Beatrix' journal? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so lovely. I was interested to see that you had so many 'British' books, all part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a sign we're getting old when we treasure things from the past so much?! Maybe, but I don't care, I love that I can read books to my grandaughter which I read as a child. I was in Costco the other day and they had a box set of new versions of the old ladybird stories (red riding hood, the three bears etc). I was so excited and bought them right away only to get home and discover when I opened the box that the illustrations were hideous! They went right back to Costco on my next visit. I will stick with the old ones thank you very much!

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth, I can't leave a comment on your blog, is anyone else having trouble?

      Delete
  4. What lovely pictures. And such a fantastic playroom. How lovely to see all of those beautiful Beatrix Potter books, they are so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved getting that room ready and seeing her face when she first came down the stairs! I love anything Beatrix Potter. Her books are timeless!

      Delete
  5. Julie your home looks lovely for christmas.We havent decorated yet, it will be next week probably when we go for our christmas tree and then everything will be done over the weekend. I see you love ladybird books too. I have quite a few also, they bring back lovely memories, of my childhood and my boys' childhoods. I used them as a 'bribe' when I took them to the supermarket. If they behaved impeccably they got a book! I have one I bought from a boot sale called the Wise Robin, which is lovely and christmassy. If you see it, definitely buy it, its charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look very closely Anne, you will see the wise robin right beside Milly Molly Mandy on the far left. I love that story too. It was one of the first ones I got on Ebay. I really wish I had mine from childhood. You're right - they bring back such good memories.

      Delete
  6. Your home looks beautiful Julie, and well done on finding the vintage baubles at such a great price. I bought 2 more Ladybird books at a carboot sale a few weeks ago - the man had a box full of them and was only charging 60p each, or 10 for £5. I started to put my decorations up today - I have my tree up in the lounge, but that's as far as I got. I'm hoping to finish the lounge decorating tomorrow and then make a start on the hallway - I am so excited about having a hallway to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60p each for Ladybird books?!! Oh, I think I would have gone mad! They are not badly priced on Ebay (sometimes), but the postage can be expensive! Lucky you! I looked at the pictures of your hallway and can understand why you're so thrilled to have it all done. It makes such a difference to the whole house when one area is done up just as you want it!

      Delete
  7. I love your little Christmas tree and those ornaments are so pretty. What a steal, I would love to find some ornaments at a yard sale that way. I really love the playroom you've set up for Norah and future grandchildren. That was a really wonderful thing to do and they will know how special they are to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really am pleased with the price I got at the garage sale. There was no bickering when I saw it - I just paid and ran!! They can be expensive even at used stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely space you have created full of well thought details. I love those vintage balls for the tree and the space you have created for the granddaughter. Lady bird books were my favorites -so magical paintings. You certainly have created a loving place for your family a gesture of how much you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kelly and welcome to my blog. I absolutely love being a homemaker and consider it the most important career a woman can have! I love my home and feel it is a sanctuary for all who live and come here. I am the lucky one who gets to take care of those I love here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it all looks so beautiful and festive. I love your collection of vintage Ladybird books, am slowly introducing my daughter to the stories I grew up with and it's so nice to see her discovering them and enjoying them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the next generation Emma. Much better than video games!!

      Delete
  12. What a lovely home can I move in , its so cosy I love all the ladybird books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helda. I look forward to browsing your blog.

      Delete
  13. Your home looks so festive and cosy! You have some really beautiful tree decorations too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne. I think you and I share the same love of red & white at Christmas!

      Delete