Thursday, April 12, 2012

Is this a second childhood?



I grew up with Ladybird books as a child in England and I loved them.  The one on the bottom right "The party", was my absolute favourite and I remember reading it for hours on end!  I have started a collection of vintage ones (wish I'd kept mine now!), so that my Grandchildren can discover them as well.  Little Norah is a little young for these, but I read another book to her yesterday.  Her Daddy learned to read with the later Ladybird books.  They were over yesterday, and her Mommy said how she loved the fact that I have a basket full of children's books out already.  We share the same philosophy about reading to children.

I love the following poem.

"You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be-
I had a mother who read to me."

- From "the reading Mother" by Gillian Strickland


There's her little pile all ready and waiting (beside the diapers & wipes!)


3 comments:

  1. Hi julie thanks for popping over to my blog and joining in with the Pay It Forward, my fingers are crossed for you x
    I've just been reading your blog and have enjoyed getting to know you a little better, we share the same interests with crafts I see and what a wonderful family you have, your granddaughter is just gorgeous as is that blanket that you made, I love the detail on the edging.
    I've never heard that poem before but I love the sentiment I too have a real passion for reading especially where the children are concerned and I see you have a copy of Peepo, that was and still is a firm favourite in our house and a book I will treasure and share when I am blessed with grandchildren. Oh and I've just spied Each Peach Pear Plum too another one I love!!
    Enjoy your treasured moments with your granddaughter
    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tracy. My fingers are crossed for your pay it forward. It will force me to get back into making things again. I have been occupied elsewhere lately. I want to take another quilting class in the coming months and start using some of my fabric.
      Your bags are delightful and put my little attempt to shame! I'm assuming you sell them. I have just discovered the sewing machine again and look forward to making lots of things in the future. With a little granddaughter now, I have no excuse!

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie, I love ladybird books too and have started my own collection of vintage ones. I notice you have got the Wise Robin there, I bought it the other week from a car boot sale and its a really lovely book.I cant wait to read it to my granddaughter when she is old enough to appreciate the story.Little Norah will love having you read to her when she is bigger.

    ReplyDelete